Students in kindergarten through grade 6 at St. John School must wear clothing that conforms to the following guidelines. Students violating the dress code may be asked to call a parent or guardian to bring appropriate clothing to the school. Preschool students do not wear uniforms, but they must wear play clothing appropriate for a school environment.
Please label all articles of clothing with the student’s name.
- St. John plaid jumpers (K-3) or skirts (4-6) purchased from Schoolbelles, Inc. or locally at Britches and Bows, or plain navy jumpers (K through grade 3) or skirts (grades 4-6). Jumpers and skirts should be of modest length.
- Blouse: White blouse (plain, no design or trim of contrasting color: Peter Pan or oxford collar).
- Slacks: Navy blue cotton or twill dress pants. Dress corduroys are also acceptable. This EXCLUDES pants made of denim, carpenter styles, jeans, flight pants, warm-ups, leisure wear or stirrups, draw strings, leggings, capris, cargo pants, zip at the knee pants or knits.
- Hair: Bangs above the eyebrows or pulled back off the eyes using a clip, headband, etc. No distracting or extreme hair styles. No artificial coloring or highlighting of the hair.
- Jewelry: Pierced posts only. No dangling earrings. No distracting jewelry.
- No makeup is to be worn.
- Slacks: Navy blue cotton or twill dress pants. Dress corduroys are also acceptable. This EXCLUDES pants made of denim, carpenter styles, jeans, flight pants, warm-ups, leisure wear or stirrups, draw strings, cargo pants, zip at the knee pants or knits.
- Hair: Hair must be cut above the eyebrows, above the ears and off the collar. No distracting or extreme hair styles. No artificial coloring or highlighting of the hair.
- Jewelry: No earrings. No distracting jewelry.
- Shirt: Red, navy, light blue or white knit 2-3 button, collared shirt. Red, navy, light blue or white turtleneck. Shirt must be tucked in at all times.
- Sweater: Solid red or navy blue cardigan, pullover, crew neck or vest may be worn over a uniform shirt.
- Sweatshirt: St. John School sweatshirts or St. John School zippered fleece ordered through the school may be worn over a uniform shirt.
- Waistband of pants must be worn at the waist.
- Shoes: Leather style, solid-color school shoes (no heels higher than 1 inch), or nice gym shoes may be worn. This EXCLUDES shoes with wheels, open back or open toe shoes, boot style shoes, slipper style shoes, Crocs, platforms, and sandals. Shoes must be kept tied.
- Socks: Matching solid-color ankle or knee socks must be worn. Girls may wear red, white, or navy blue tights.
- No hats or scarves may be worn in the building.
- Optional: A plain, solid color belt may be worn by all K-6 students. Magnetic closure belts may be an easier option for our younger students. These are available for purchase at Britches and Bows in Jackson.
During September, May and June:
- Navy blue walking shorts, no more than 2 inches above the knee and made of cotton/polyester may be worn. This EXCLUDES pull-on styles, cargo shorts, knits, sweat pants, athletic or bike shorts. Girls may also wear navy blue skorts or culottes during these months.
- Pants: Jeans, khakis, athletic wear and sweatpants may be worn. This EXCLUDES loungewear, sleepwear, yoga pants, leggings, ripped or torn items, and oversized or too tight pants. During September, May and June, shorts no more than 2 inches above the knee may be worn.
- Shirts: Casual shirt or sweatshirt with no inappropriate messages or pictures. Shoulders must be covered; no spaghetti straps, halter tops.
- Shoes, jewelry, and hair regulations still apply on dress-down days.
All items should be clearly labeled with student name and supplies should be replenished as needed.
No wheels, duffle or satchel types, and they must fit in lockers.
Facial Coverings: Two child-sized masks with ear loop. One to be kept in their locker for extra and one that comes to school and goes home with them every day. They may be homemade or purchased. The only restriction is that we request that pictures, patterns, and sayings are appropriate for our Catholic school environment. Neck gaiters and bandana styles are not allowed.
Refillable water bottle
Small towel or blanket to sit on during outside class time